The Municipal Stadium
Lighting: 2,066 lux
By plane: Aéroport de Toulouse-Blagnac (10 km from city centre)
By train: Gare Toulouse-Matabiau
By car: Autoroute A64
By bus: Lignes 1 et 12, Pont Saint-Michel stop, Ligne 92, Daste stop
The arena was opened in 1949 as a bull ring but soon became the home of Toulouse Football Club, who took on a new status when they won the French cup final in 1957. Since then the Téfécé Violets have not left a stadium extended in 1984 when it won the nickname of mini Wembley. Fourteen years later the Stadium was again renovated for the 1998 World Cup soccer finals with its capacity raised to 37,000 and all-round visibility improved to a maximum. An explosion at a nearby petro-chemical site in September 2001 forced the ground to be closed for a year while repairs were carried out.
Rugby in its own backyard
Stade Toulousain is arguably the most iconic, and successful, rugby club in the World. Rugby has always been at home at the Stadium. The French XV played there for the first time in 1956 with an international against Czechoslovakia (28-3). But rugby’s outstanding memory in the city remains France’s two Test victories over New Zealand, first in 1977 (18-13) and then in 1995 (22-15). The Stadium also hosted France’s match with Fiji in the 1999 Rugby World Cup, which they won 28-19. As for the club championship, a dozen finals have been played there, the last in 1973 saw Tarbes triumph over Dax. On top of that Stade Toulousain’s European campaigns have often swept through a Stadium bubbling over in triumph. In 2003 Frederic Michalak put his team in the ERC final by scoring a last-minute try converted by Jean-Baptiste Elissalde to deny Munster 13-12. A month later Toulouse won the Cup for the second time before notching up a treble two years later.
Going to the stadium by public transport takes :
- 45 min from the airport
- 25 min from Matabiau station
- 20 min from town centre
1 allée Gabriel Biénés
31 400 Toulouse